Monday, November 24, 2008

Shooting the JFK 50 Mile Ultra Marathon - While Running It



After so many months of training, I can't believe the JFK 50 is behind me. The race began at 5 a.m. Saturday and 12 hours and 41 minutes later I crossed the finish line sprinting as fast as I could run and with my arms in the air yelling like a wild man. It truly was one of the greatest days of my life. It was so cold in the beginning of the race that the water in the pack I was wearing on my back froze solid. The temp on the bank sign at the start line read 14 degrees. It did not warm up much the entire day. The Appalachian Trail section of the run was a highlight of the race for me. The surroundings were beautiful and I loved the challenge of the terrain. The people at the aid stations and the runners I chatted with during the day were amazing. The food during the race was also great. I will never underestimate the power of a cup of soup, jelly beans or a salted potato again.

I photographed the JFK 50 with a Panasonic LX3 while running. I chose this camera because of it's ability to shoot RAW and it's superior lens. The camera worked great all day and I am very happy I chose this camera to photograph my first ultra marathon while running.

I am planning on this becoming another one of my personal projects - photographing ultra marathons while running them. I look forward to my next one - hopefully, my first 100 miler in May!

3 comments:

Seth Johnson said...

That is so awesome. I know how much this meant to you. Congratulations. I'm excited for you.

Etta Smith said...

Tom-
It is so great to read about your successful attempt at your first ultra marathon! It's so exciting to watch one of my mentors see one of his dreams come true. You are a running and shooting MANIAC and I sincerely admire you for that! I look forward to what next year will have in store for you.

Anonymous said...

Nice brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.